Clear Plastic Face Shields
Like masks, plastic face shields existed before the COVID-19 virus emerged. However, with the virus spreading in communities worldwide, face shields have quickly become more popular within and beyond the medical industry. Seeing the growing need for affordable and reusable PPE, Printex Transportation Packaging quickly converted our PET capabilities to manufacture face shields designed to reduce the likelihood of spreading or contracting COVID-19. We’ve since become one of North America’s largest producers of protective face shields, shipping over 10 million shields to frontline workers within the first 3 months of the pandemic.
Importance of Face Shields
Face shields are thin plastic coverings that sit in front of the face to block droplets generated by breathing, coughing, and sneezing. Although COVID-19 is known to be at least somewhat airborne, these particles are responsible for the majority of viral transmission, so masks and face shields are the primary line of defense against community spread.
Face shields are most effective when worn in conjunction with a mask, with the shield serving as a barrier for larger and moisture aerosol particles such as those output in a cough or sneeze. This protection is especially important for essential workers who are exposed to potential positive cases at close distances or for prolonged periods of time.
Face shields aren’t limited to just essential workers, however, and can be used by the rest of the population. Since they are affordable and reusable, they are especially useful for filling PPE shortages.
Types of Face Shields
The most common type of face shield is a simple headband shield. These shields consist of a flexible sheet of transparent plastic attached to the forehead portion of the headband. The headband is typically padded to make long-term wear more comfortable.
Our headband face shields are available with a foam top for cushioning or a forehead vent for airflow. Standard shields cover the wearer’s face from forehead to chin, but longer, wider shields are also available. Our medical shields measure 14 x 9.5″ (360 wide x 240 mm high), which makes them significantly longer than many suppliers’, exceeding healthcare standards and ensuring maximum protection against aerosol particles.
Benefits of Face Shields
Face shields offer a number of key benefits to wearers, including:
- Viral Protection: Face shields stop airborne particles from reaching the face, including the eyes, which are often left unprotected by other means of PPE. Face shields also limit face touching, so wearers don’t transfer viral particles to the face, where they can quickly enter the body.
- Reusable: Face shields can be safely sanitized, so a single shield can provide continued protection.
- Comfortable: Face shields are lightweight, padded, and vented, so they can be worn for hours without becoming uncomfortable. Face shields also do not cause glasses to fog, which is a frequent complaint associated with masks.
- Facilitate Communication: Masks obscure facial features and muffle the voice. Where safe, opting for a face shield over a mask can facilitate communication, especially for people with hearing disabilities who rely more heavily on facial cues for comprehension.
Face Shield Applications
The most critical application of face shields is in the medical industry. Frontline healthcare workers use face shields to limit contact with infectious droplets, layering the shields with a mask for maximum protection. Face shields can also help preserve scarce PPE resources such as N95s. Face shields may also prove beneficial in the following environments, among others:
- Businesses: Face shields may be a comfortable way to keep employees safe when interacting at close proximity.
- Schools: Face shields are especially useful for teachers and learning support staff as they allow students to see lip movements and facial expressions.
- Construction: Face shields fit snugly under hard hats to protect the eyes from dirt and debris, in addition to protecting against germs.
- Manufacturing: Many manufacturing plants remain open as essential businesses. Face shields can help prevent the spread of germs in such environments, where it may be difficult to implement effective distancing measures.
- Food Service: Workers in food service industries can use face shields as an additional layer of protection against contaminating food.
Printex Transparent Packaging Face Shields
Printex Transparent Packaging manufactures premium medical-grade face shields. Our shields are FDA-approved under EUA 4132020, and they qualify as Certified Class 1 Medical Device with a Medical Device Establishment License (MDEL) 12157. Lightweight and comfortable, our face shields are available vented to allow heat to escape, a feature that is especially popular with medical professionals working long hours in full PPE. The shields may be cleaned with either rubbing alcohol or regular skin-safe disinfectant, so long as they are allowed to dry before reuse.
Our capabilities include personalization options, including the ability to print your logo on the shields, provide your own manufacturing specifications, or create custom bump cap shields that can go under hard hats for construction. You may also choose to use our standard specifications:
- Head Strap: Adjustable size, Polyethylene (PE) 16 G
- Head Strap Dimensions: 26.9 x 1.5″ (683 x 38mm)
- Face Shield: Clear PET 12 Gauge (300 micron), printed or entirely transparent
- Face Shield Dimensions: 12 ¾ x 9″ (324 x 228.5 mm); also available in: 14 x 9.5″ (360 wide x 240 mm high) for medical applications
Our expert team is on hand to answer any questions about capabilities or specifications.
Why Printex Transparent Packaging?
Printex Transparent Packaging has decades of experience in clear plastic manufacturing, serving as one of North America’s premier suppliers of plastic packaging. We’ve applied that expertise to create reliable plastic face shields for millions of frontline healthcare workers, and we are perfectly positioned to do the same for your company, whether you’re seeking medical-grade or standard reusable face shields.
When purchasing stock or custom face shields from Printex, you receive the same benefits as our packaging clients have for years. We offer quick turnaround times with hassle-free shipping across North America, and our team works with each client to ensure their individual needs are met.
To learn more about how Printex has rapidly shifted to keep our communities safe or to inquire about our face shield manufacturing capabilities, contact us, or request a quote. To learn more about proper PPE usage & safety, please click here.